Office 2007 End of Support
IMPORTANT: Continuing to use Microsoft Office 2007 after October 10, 2017 without updating to the most recent version could expose you to serious security risks. Please consider migrating to the latest version of Office.
Support for Office 2007 ends October 10, 2017. All of your Office 2007 apps will continue to function—they won't disappear from your computer, nor will you lose any data. However, you could expose yourself to serious and potentially harmful security risks. Here's what the end of support means for you:
- You'll no longer receive Office 2007 software updates from Microsoft Update.
- You'll no longer receive security updates. Security updates are what help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.
- You'll no longer receive phone or chat technical support.
- No further updates to support content will be provided. In fact, most online help content will be retired.
- You'll no longer be able to download Office 2007 from the Microsoft web site.
Why is Microsoft doing this?
Office 2007, like most Microsoft products, has a support lifecycle during which we provide new features, bug fixes, security fixes, and so on. This lifecycle typically lasts for 10 years from the date of the product’s initial release.
What are my options?
Although you'll still be able to use Office 2007, you might want to upgrade to a newer version of Office so you can stay up to date with all the latest features, patches, and security updates.
Upgrade options include:
Upgrading to Office 365, the subscription version of Office that comes with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other apps, depending on the plan you choose. With Office 365, the apps are available on your computer for up to 5 users and via browser; one subscription enables you to use them on both your PC and Mac.
Upgrading to Office 2016. Office 2016 is a one-time purchase (not a subscription) for installation on one computer only.
We've been working with our clients to upgrade their software prior to this end of support date and will help you move forward as you are able. Important things to remember about this end of support as you plan and budget for upgrades:
- No new security updates
- No new features updates or bug fixes
- Microsoft product support to fix issues is not available
- No online technical content updates
If you have any questions or would like to learn more about upgrade options, give our Stress Free IT Consultants a call at (937) 528-7611.